My Blog List

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The chosen book

 The book i have chosen to read is Lost in Translation: A life in a new language, by Eva Hoffman. I chose this book because for some reason i think is gonna relate to my own experience in a new country with a new language. Apparently, the book is divided in parts as opposed to others that are divided in chapters . So far I'm in part one which is called Paradise. I don't know how to summarize this incredible and delightful book. The characters in the book are a family of four, the mother, the father and two daughters, the year is 1959 Post-war Cracow,Poland. One of the main characters is telling the  story, she is also the oldest of the family.Her name is Ewa. The author takes you to places that seem to be so enchanted, even when a war has just happened, there are rivers, waterfall country side and people enjoying life. As far as the books name goes, am yet to get "lost in translation" however, there are many words that are written in polish which the character explains such as pani (madame), ciocia (auntie), tesknota (nostalgia).
One thing for sure i have to say, i am in love with this book so far. I had heard about it before but never thought i would be reading it. I want to devour it, if only i had the time.   

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are making me want to read the book! it sounds interesting how even during times of distress the author seems to be focusing on the beauty of the country.P.S I have a friend who is Polish n her name is Ewelina and the Ew make a Ev sound maybe it the same pronounciation for your character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I would like to read this book because I have suffered the problems of getting into a new language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carlos,
    I also found your book to be interesting and I can connect with it in so many ways.For instance you explain that you can relate with the author's experience because you came to an new country with a new language. In my situation I came to the United States from Guyana; However, Guyanese speak a different kind of English called Creoles. I also found it difficult to understand this type of formation. Sadly, even today I have problem with grammer

    ReplyDelete