My Blog List

Monday, November 1, 2010

The End of : Lost In Translation . tear, tear!!

  This interesting book came to an end a little too soon . The concluding chapter is called "the new world" and the only reason the author calls it that way is because this is where she has finally succeeded in her fight to learn not only the language but a whole different culture. Eva Hoffman, after winning a scholarship, went on to study at Rice University in Texas then she transfered to Harvard University for her masters in literature. One of my favorite parts of the book is when she writes "I love words insofar as they correspond to the world, insofar as they give it to me in a heightened form. The more words I have, the more distinct, precise my perceptions become...sometimes, when I find a new expression, I roll it in the tongue, as if shaping it in my mouth gave birth to a new shape in the world... Nothing fully exists until it is articulated... I grasped a new piece of experience; it is mine". (page 29)
    At the end everything makes sense for her, she no longer has to think in polish in order to create sentences in English. Moreover, she has learned the "harsh-sounding language" of which she was so against. I have to say that  the chapter "the new world" was a little confusing just because there are parts where she talks to herself . I think it is her conscience because she is trying to be part of her new life but her past life keeps her from doing it. so she fights against that other person. But I need some explaining since I am also learning the language.
    The book is so good and sometimes it even makes one cry. It made me cry for the choice of words that she uses to express how language  helps her into becoming who she really is. The girl who loves playing the piano knows that here, language is the war she has to fight in order to assimilate and not feel as if she doesn't belong. Being an education major and having come from a different culture/language sometimes I think that I am not ready for teaching because of the language. However, that question has been answered as I finished reading the book.
  Also, she explains that she no longer thinks in Polish whereas I think that not forgetting where we come from is something to keep with us and not forget. I still think in spanish because I just cannot help it. Am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment